Monday, May 2, 2011

Bloody? More like Medium-Well

If you know me, you know that I enjoy my beverages, especially of the alcholic variety.  A chewy red, a nose-tickling prosecco, a dirty martini with hendrick's gin, or a cold glass of a sweet dunkel-weiss - whatever it is, i've most likely tasted it or am willing to form an opinion on it.

So of course one of my first questions when I confirmed that I was preggers was 'What am I going to do for 9 months!?'  Aside from maybe a sip of bubbly or cold beer here or there (spirits are a no-no and just thinking about wine gives me heart burn) I needed something to satiate my thirst.

So I've started tinkering in my bar and fridge with all things non-alcoholic and have come up with a few recipes.  Today I wanted to share with you my not-so-bloody Bloody Mary or the Bloody Mama.

Ingredients:
8-10 oz Low Sodium Spicy V8
Olives stuffed with garlic or jalepeno or cheese
Pepperoncini peppers
Dill pickle spear and/or pickled okra and/or pickle green beans
1-2 oz Club Soda or lemon sparkling water
stalk of celery

To taste:
3 Dashes worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon horseradish or horseradish mustard
2 dashes hot sauce (i've been using frank's red hot)
a sprinkle cajun seasoning
juice of 1/4 to 1/2 lemon
Splash of juice from the pepperoncini peppers

Start off with a very large glass - a beer stein works perfectly.
Add the worcestershire sauce, horseradish, hot sauce, cajun seasoning, lemon juice and pepperoncini juice to glass. Blend.  Pour in V-8.  Stir and taste - check for salt, heat and proper sourness. Adjust to Taste.  Add the meal portion of this drink aka olives, celery, pickles.  Then top with soda water and give a quick final stir.

Perfect anytime of day but especially on weekends, late morning into afternoon when I'm dreaming of my favorite brunch spots. 

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment