Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spotted Bub

So last Monday I got the Duckiebutt out of bed for our usual morning ritual - change her nappy, get into bed with mom and dad for a little snuggling and tooting, followed by breakfast for the Bub and finally breakfast for mommy.

Well as I was feeding her I noticed a little red mark on her arm, not unusual as I'd seen this little pimple the day before.  But now there seemed to be 2 or 3 larger ones that looked more like bites as well.  Hmm...2 on the other hand as well.

Now those of you who know me from my NYC days may remember my old place in Hell's Kitchen and the little bedbug infestation we had due to the guy living below us and our decrepid old brick building. I DONT DO BEDBUGS.  I will stay up all night and hunt those little suckers down.  I am severely allergic and just the thought of them makes me itch.  So i head over to her room and inspect the crib and mattress nothing out of the ordinary.

So i go back to inspecting the bub - I scream for N who's working out downstairs - our Bub is one big red blotch.  Her face, her sausage arms, chunk-a-munk legs are all covered in Hives.  She however seems to be oblivious of all this.  A good sign but we were not taking any chances.  I called our doc's office and got an appt to come in.  We go, they take her temp (normal) and basically tell us they  have no idea what caused them.  We'd been out the day before visiting some friends and family so a number of things could have been the reason.  Final diagnosis.  Go home, continue doing what you're doing - if she gets a fever or wheezing cough call us.  If she seems a little itchy give her some baby benadryl.  Otherwise, sit back and wait a week - they'll go away eventually.



And so we did.... after about 2 days they reduced in appearance and in number and by day 4 you could barely tell she had them. Crisis averted.  Let's hope the next one is as easy to handle.


No comments:

Post a Comment