Monday, September 12, 2011

35 weeks in 35 days left!

So this past Friday we hit the 35 week milestone in Duckie's 9.5 month gestation.  And based on this lovely gift from my friend Jess, a reminder that we only have 35 days before our guess date!

At our midwives' appt we learned that our fundal height (from top of uterus down to top of pubic bone) is right on schedule, the measurement matching the # of weeks - 34.5 cm.  Her heartbeat was in the 140s, smack in the middle of the normal range of 120-170 and from what the midwife could feel was head down, for the moment.  This all adds up to having been given the go ahead (so far) to fly at week 37 to NJ for Jess's wedding!!!

How am I feeling?  Not bad - the Braxton Hicks practice contractions have been full on since week 32 and that hasn't stopped.  I can feel Duckie growing, taking up more room, getting more pushing and pressing along my stomach rather than the swirls of somersaults.  As I type this I can feel him stretching out one one side while straightening his legs on the other.  A few nights ago I got a nice little jab in the kidney - Thanks baby!  You sure can be a pain in ass.  No literally, seems Duckie has my uterus pushing on my sciatic nerve and for the past 2 weeks I have been getting these shooting pains and throbbing in my left butt cheek that sometimes shoots down my left thigh.  They happen when I'm sitting, standing, walking, sleeping... you get the point.

So I've got myself an exercise ball - which i should have done months ago - great for relaxation poses, exercises and its newest roll - a chair.  No more sitting on the couch or dining chair for this mama-to-be.  I've also gone to the chiropractor.  My first visit ever!  Using the Webster Technique, specifically designed for pregnant women, the doc made some adjustments.  Not sure which is helping or if its a combination of both - but the pains have lessened, which is all that matters.

My favorite Pirate What's it all feeling like right now?  Forgive me if this sounds cheesy but it's as if N and I are pirates on a ship having been out to sea for 8 months in search of some hidden treasure on an unplottable island.  With just a worn out, barely legible map and little compass as our guide we've passed through turbulent tides, scorching sun, serene moonlit waters, coming across new sights, smells and tastes along the way - but always with this feeling that we've only scratched the surface, knowing we are getting closer, getting more anxious to spy through our telescope and finally yell "Land Ahoy"!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, clearance to fly!! Love the pirate metaphor, argh ;)

    ReplyDelete